Saturday, December 3, 2016

Business Goals

I'm discovering that running my own business on the side is therapeutic. I don't think it would be if it was my full-time gig (because, pressure) but it's not. My health insurance isn't depending on this. That's what the FT gig is for.

I've only been back a few weeks but I've learned quite a bit about SEO. From the view counts and favorited items, it seems to be working. Etsy will never be a main source of crafting income due to the hugely saturated market. That being said-the ease of use, discounted shipping and wide audience will keep me there for whatever sales do roll in. My main goals this winter are to start preparing for late winter/early spring craft fairs and to create a more cohesive/professional look.

Things to check off this winter:
1. Hire someone to redesign my logo, social media icons, etc. I already narrowed down a particular designer but I'm waiting until after Christmas because of funds. For someone with very limited Photoshop skills I think I did *okay* with my logo. I really don't like my FB or Etsy banners. Branding is so important with craft businesses and it's something that is lacking.  
2. Purchase a sandblaster for glass etching. I love etching glass but the etching cream I use doesn't produce a vivid etch. I've researched sandblaster machines for a year or so and found one I want to go with. The etching difference is amazing.
3.  Purchase a heat press. I was a little weary of purchasing a heat press because I haven't had great luck with heat transfer vinyl. However, after doing a ton of research I learned about sublimation and I am sooo excited to add this to my shop. No more worries about peeling vinyl. My customers can actually put a mug through the dishwasher! I think this is the thing I'm most excited about offering/changing over the upcoming months.
4. Packaging. This kind of goes along with the branding bit in number 1. I have always been a terrible gift-wrapper. My mom is the lady who perfectly folds edges of wrapping paper and puts pretty bows on gifts. I am of the "cover it in wrapping paper and try to press the crumpled edges in so it doesn't poof out too much" variety.  This doesn't work when you're trying to relay a "boutique" kind of atmosphere. YouTube showed me how to tie one of those cross-knot bows so maybe there's been a little improvement already?
5. Slowly start purchasing craft fair necessities (table cloths, tent, tables, etc.)
6. Build stock. That's obvious enough. I don't want to scramble like I did for my first craft fair.

So, those are my winter goals. I am glad to have them to focus on because things have been pretty crummy over here. This is giving me a taste of self-confidence for the first time in a long time. It's time to keep building on that and moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment