Tuesday, November 24, 2015

What is best?

Cooper started the intake process for ABA therapy today.

I just hope, and hope, and hope that we are doing the right thing. I worry that by putting him in ABA we are essentially forcing him to hide away the parts of his personality that make him Cooper-the things that make him unique and happy. What if they discourage stimming? Yes, he gets glances in public when he is flapping, but that's how he shows he's excited and happy. I don't want someone to take that away from him because it makes him "stand out."

Although I don't want him to have to conform or feel like he has to put on an act, I do acknowledge the fact that he needs to learn how to control certain behaviors so he doesn't struggle (as much) in school. Right now trying to get him to do anything that isn't his idea is a fight. Transitions, even to activities or places he thoroughly enjoys, always result in meltdowns. The bedtime routine is a nightly 2-hour struggle resulting in him not getting enough sleep. None of these things are conducive to him being able to function in a school atmosphere.

Greg and I decided to go ahead and see how this works for Cooper. Once we sit down with the therapist and discuss the plan of action, we will be very open and honest about our fears. Luckily, this will be in-home for the time being. If we see anything we're uncomfortable with, we will discuss and start a new mode of therapy.  I think that things will be okay as long as we remain aware and make sure they're not forcing him into being someone he's not.

One of my friends just had a baby. In typical fashion, my ovaries got twitchy and I thought back to when I was pregnant. Remember pre-kids when you think the difficult part will be the diaper changes and the sleepless nights? Man, I was naive.

No comments:

Post a Comment