Thursday, May 15, 2014

On finding your niche

I have been spending an obscene amount of time on Halloween-focused forums lately. For the most part, Halloween isn't a huge deal around here.  Richmond has a few festive blocks and there are plenty of Halloween festivals but the majority of people don't do anything more than pumpkins on the porch. 

One of my favorite Halloweens was in 2010, not long after I married my husband. We were living in a 500 sq ft ground-level apartment. We were incredibly broke because I just started a job after 7 months of unemployment. It was our first year having a place where we could display decorations. I ended up buying a couple things from Dollar Tree and Big Lots while borrowing several of my sister's decorations:

The fun part was when our next door neighbor started competing with us. I'd come home from work and they'd have a couple new things, I'd go pick up one thing, etc. The shared enthusiasm/competition fueled me. 

The internet is kind of amazing/terrifying in that you can pretty much find like-minded people no matter your niche. I have found endless inspiration via Halloween communities and am so excited to start building my own props. There have been so many times where I sit there nodding my head when someone posts about asking for props instead of flowers for Mother's Day, or how their spouse is really understanding regarding  how much space it takes to store props. It's like having a built-in neighbor. Just competitive enough to fuel your creativity while knowing that they truly "get it." 

No comments:

Post a Comment