Thursday, July 14, 2016

ftftugiuhilu

Within the last 5 hours:
-My doctor drew my blood to test for autoimmune diseases because I am sick (again).
-We found out that Cooper was not accepted into the (Neurotypical) Preschool program we applied for through the school district. I'm not allowed to disclose why but it had nothing to do with autism.
-We got an email from his special ed preschool teacher basically giving us a heads up that she is going to suggest an IEP revision meeting in August and wants to reduce his hours from 4 days/week to 2 days/week. She wants him to go to community preschool the other 3 days.

I feel like he is already slipping through the cracks. He isn't "autistic enough" to warrant the care I feel he needs. Yet, he is not "neurotypical enough" to send him to a NT preschool program without immense worries.

It drives me insane when he verbally stims for hours on end. I am his mom and love him more than anything and it still makes me feel like my ears are bleeding from verbal stims. How is a preschool teacher who is busy watching several other kids going to handle that? His aggression (primarily biting and hitting) ramped up over the last couple months. So many of the challenging ASD behaviors in terms of rigidity, schedules, meltdowns, ramped up recently. How do I know a teacher won't just label him as a bad kid when it's something he can't control?

I am grateful that he made so much progress last year. It just makes me wonder if he is actually getting the services he needs, or if he's already being short changed before Kindergarten even starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment