Saturday, July 2, 2016

Summer '16 Bucket List

It is officially summer. It's hot, humid as hell, buggy summer. It also means nights stretching out as long as the summer sun, swimming whenever the opportunity arises, ice cream trucks, and almost nightly playground visits for Cooper.

I really want to do all the [fun] things this summer. The 3 day weekend thing drives my wanderlust heart insane (due to lack of funds, wandering far is out of the question this summer). That doesn't mean there isn't plenty to do around here! Lists help reign in my easily distracted thoughts. Without further ado, here is my list:

1. Take a 1-nighter road trip without planning a single thing. No destination in mind, nothing fancy, just a good old fashioned road trip.

2. Try a new exercise. There are so many things I haven't tried. Yoga? Never tried it. Kickboxing? Nope. Spinning? Nope. Maybe I'll find something I love? Maybe?

3. Try new recipes. I have been *slightly* better in terms of trying new recipes lately, but adding this to the list can't hurt.

4. Visit 3 VA state parks. So much to see, and nearly free!

5. Play tourist in Richmond. Do you know how much things I HAVEN'T seen in Richmond? I've never been to the Poe Museum, VMFA, the VA Holocaust Museum, etc. I will not be riding any segways, but there is a solid day of Richmond-exploring I am 19 years past due on.

6. Firepit nights. Our patio was sadly neglected last year. We just never went out there. I spent hours today trying to clear weeds, spruce it up, and get rid of random things we threw back there. The yard is one of the best parts of our house and I really want to start appreciating it more.

7. Send snail-mail. I never do this anymore and getting mail is always nice! I am overdue to send a care package, a letter, a thank you card, something fun via the mail system.

8. Get a manicure. Maybe you're rolling your eyes at this one, but it's been years since I had one. It felt so fancy to walk around for a week with nice nails.

9. Sew! I bought my machine, accessories, wound a bobbin...now I need to gather the courage to actually use the machine.

10. Visit new restaurants. On the rare occasion we get an opportunity to go to a sit-down restaurant, we get in such a rut and go with the usual spots. There are plenty of places to try around here, so we need to venture out more.

So, there it is. A list that doesn't leave me filled with dread. A light, somewhat frivolous kind of thing. Just how summer should be.

1 comment:

  1. You can get into any VA State Park for totally free if you get one of these kits out from the library: http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/blog/your-next-visit-to-a-virginia-state-park-could-start-at-the-library :D

    ReplyDelete